Thailand will forever be one of the most memorable countries that I've been for the simple reason that it is the first I visited. I was unprepared for it because at that time I was working five days a week and it would seem impossible for me to have four or five days of vacation. However, it was earlier announced by my aunt that it would be in a month's time so I was able to work around the dilemma.
It was summer. I pretended I was cool, that I was relaxed and it wasn't too much of a big deal that I'd be traveling. Deep inside, I was oblivious. I did not have any plane ride experience so all those who underwent the same thing can probably relate. The plane was massive. Kuwait Airways. For some reason, I did not experience the things they say you'd experience when the plane takes off. It was okay I guess. But yeah, the airplane experience, at last, was on my mind.
When we arrived in Bangkok, my aunt let me feel how it is to have some tour agency guy waving your name at the arrival area. She gave my name to the people who'd be touring us around. It was hot. The moment I stepped out of the airport, sweat was dripping. I even had a blooper moment when I attempted to ride the driver side. I'm used to left hand drive, and wasn't informed that Thailand is right hand drive.
It was non-stop walking for days. I did not feel tired except when it's just too hot. I am certain that whenever we were sleeping at that time, I was snoring. What I enjoyed the most was shopping. It was just incredibly cheap. I brought home an extra luggage, which was allowed based on our ticket. Funny because the extra luggage is that bag made of straws, so I was not able to really secure it, but maybe because it was made of straws, no one would be interested in it. Lo and behold, it was the same bag, same stuff in it when I took it out of the conveyor belt when I got back.
At that time, I was amazed by how the airport looked like, probably because there was nothing for me to compare it with except for the one in my country. So for a time, I said that it was the nicest airport I've seen. and then after a few months, there was this movie, Love of Siam which was shown. I fell in love with it big time, and I kind of reminisced my stay in Bangkok. Until now, after so many years, I can feel that "in love" feeling that I felt when I first watched the movie. I could not get over it.
Last year, I went there again, out of curiosity. And this time, I also went to Phuket. I was alone though, but I am used to it. It wasn't the first time for me to travel alone. There are pros and cons for traveling alone. Maybe I'd mention some cons which I experienced there. First, imagine being in Khao San, a place for a lot of tourists. I would go back to my hotel as early as 9 pm because I do not drink, and there was nothing for me to do. And I am afraid to meet people, specially Thais, because I was scared of the HIV/AIDS stigma. I am not generalizing, but I am very vulnerable when it comes to hook ups. I have the tendency to say yes easily. In my mind, better safe than sorry. Another was that whenever I toured, let's say the James Bond thingy in Phuket, I felt jealous/envious coz almost everyone was with someone. But that was a choice I had made and I knew the repercussions. I was prepared for it, but could not stop being jealous so to speak. An outcome of that is when I buy something, there's no one to consult. I am a practical (stingy, they say) person and I want every purchase to be worth every cent I spend. I ended up not buying stuff that time.
So, will I visit BKK again? perhaps yes. I like Phuket, compared to other places I've seen. It was also cheap, not to mention that it was safe. My hotel had a gym, which is important for me. It was near the beach, though I am not fond of beaches, so just a stroll would be fine. The food is unforgettable. It's one of the reasons why I always crave for Pad Thai.
It was summer. I pretended I was cool, that I was relaxed and it wasn't too much of a big deal that I'd be traveling. Deep inside, I was oblivious. I did not have any plane ride experience so all those who underwent the same thing can probably relate. The plane was massive. Kuwait Airways. For some reason, I did not experience the things they say you'd experience when the plane takes off. It was okay I guess. But yeah, the airplane experience, at last, was on my mind.
When we arrived in Bangkok, my aunt let me feel how it is to have some tour agency guy waving your name at the arrival area. She gave my name to the people who'd be touring us around. It was hot. The moment I stepped out of the airport, sweat was dripping. I even had a blooper moment when I attempted to ride the driver side. I'm used to left hand drive, and wasn't informed that Thailand is right hand drive.
It was non-stop walking for days. I did not feel tired except when it's just too hot. I am certain that whenever we were sleeping at that time, I was snoring. What I enjoyed the most was shopping. It was just incredibly cheap. I brought home an extra luggage, which was allowed based on our ticket. Funny because the extra luggage is that bag made of straws, so I was not able to really secure it, but maybe because it was made of straws, no one would be interested in it. Lo and behold, it was the same bag, same stuff in it when I took it out of the conveyor belt when I got back.
At that time, I was amazed by how the airport looked like, probably because there was nothing for me to compare it with except for the one in my country. So for a time, I said that it was the nicest airport I've seen. and then after a few months, there was this movie, Love of Siam which was shown. I fell in love with it big time, and I kind of reminisced my stay in Bangkok. Until now, after so many years, I can feel that "in love" feeling that I felt when I first watched the movie. I could not get over it.
Last year, I went there again, out of curiosity. And this time, I also went to Phuket. I was alone though, but I am used to it. It wasn't the first time for me to travel alone. There are pros and cons for traveling alone. Maybe I'd mention some cons which I experienced there. First, imagine being in Khao San, a place for a lot of tourists. I would go back to my hotel as early as 9 pm because I do not drink, and there was nothing for me to do. And I am afraid to meet people, specially Thais, because I was scared of the HIV/AIDS stigma. I am not generalizing, but I am very vulnerable when it comes to hook ups. I have the tendency to say yes easily. In my mind, better safe than sorry. Another was that whenever I toured, let's say the James Bond thingy in Phuket, I felt jealous/envious coz almost everyone was with someone. But that was a choice I had made and I knew the repercussions. I was prepared for it, but could not stop being jealous so to speak. An outcome of that is when I buy something, there's no one to consult. I am a practical (stingy, they say) person and I want every purchase to be worth every cent I spend. I ended up not buying stuff that time.
So, will I visit BKK again? perhaps yes. I like Phuket, compared to other places I've seen. It was also cheap, not to mention that it was safe. My hotel had a gym, which is important for me. It was near the beach, though I am not fond of beaches, so just a stroll would be fine. The food is unforgettable. It's one of the reasons why I always crave for Pad Thai.
Comments
Post a Comment